W.W. Norton & Company is seeking a Photo Department Manager in its College Department. This position is responsible for overseeing the procurement and long-term management of a large volume of images for college and high school textbooks in both print and electronic formats. The candidate must have a seasoned and thorough understanding of photo licensing and must be capable of negotiating agreements with rights holders and their representatives. The Photo Department Manager reports to the Director of College Permissions.
Essential Job Responsibilities Include:
- Oversee a department of five photo editors and one billing/permissions specialist as well as a large pool of external freelance photo researchers.
- Work collaboratively with staff in several departments, including Production, Design, Editorial, Contracts, and Marketing.
- Supervise and track all photo projects from start to finish (pre-production research through to production turnover) while maintaining image quality and budget on tight deadlines.
- Delegate projects strategically, manage numerous competing deadlines, and troubleshoot creatively.
- Negotiate usage terms for agency pricing agreements, and must understand the various licensing platforms as well as licensing variables such as additional artist estate fees, special restrictions, etc.
- Understand the production process and be comfortable dealing with file management (resolution checks, retouching, naming conventions, FTP file transfer, etc.).
- Stay abreast of photo industry trends and keep staff and management updated on a range of issues.