W. W. Norton is seeking a Project Editor to work with adult fiction and nonfiction titles. This person will report to the Managing Editor for Trade and Liveright, and will interact with various internal departments to produce high-quality books while maintaining production schedules.
Essential Job Responsibilities Include:
- Overseeing manuscripts from copyediting through printer proofs for approx. 25 projects/year.
- Managing and assessing the work of freelance copyeditors, proofreaders, and indexers.
- Preparing manuscripts for copyediting and evaluating the copyeditor’s work, adjusting and providing feedback as necessary.
- Coordinating with Editorial, Production, and Publicity departments to see titles through to completion.
- Reviewing and collating author and proofreader edits, as well as checking mechanical aspects of all proof passes.
- Proofreading compositor corrections for second-pass proofs and all subsequent passes, as well as all passes of the index.
- Checking printer proofs (blues) for quality control.
- Copyediting and proofreading jacket copy, as well as press releases and other promotional material.
- Performing quality-control checks on ebooks.