W. W. Norton & Company is seeking an Associate Editor for its college Sociology and Anthropology digital media teams. Working closely with these highly collaborative groups, the Associate Media Editor will be responsible for the effectiveness, quality, and timeliness of teaching, learning, and assessment resources that support textbooks in these areas. This position will report to the Media Editors for Sociology and Anthropology.
Essential job responsibilities include:
- Understanding the relevant textbook markets in college publishing and the diverse needs of adopters and students throughout the country.
- Planning, developing, and implementing pedagogically-useful and innovative content to be used in print and digital resources for teaching, learning, and assessment.
- Creating budgets and development timelines to correspond with editorial, sales, and production schedules and the needs of the market.
- Collaborating closely with editorial colleagues to ensure quality and timeliness of materials.
- Recruiting, signing, training, and communicating with subject matter experts for a wide variety of editorial projects.
- Soliciting feedback from the market, such as peer reviews, and incorporating this feedback into current and future editorial projects.
- With the help of a shared editorial assistant, managing projects in all stages of editorial development and production.
- Professionally interacting with authors, college faculty, and production vendors.
- Effectively communicating ideas to colleagues including sales representatives, the college department editorial board, and the advertising and marketing departments.
- Clearly documenting and communicating updates with all team members throughout the duration of a project.
- Communicating the specifications for, and functionality of, print and digital resources to fellow editors, designers, production managers, programmers, and software developers.
- Managing vendor selection, scheduling, and budgeting for digital work such as content coding projects.
- Maintaining and organizing digital files on appropriate servers.
- Creating product records and metadata and ensuring accuracy of product information in W.W. Norton’s various proprietary systems.