W. W. Norton & Company is seeking an editor for college books in sociology and cultural anthropology. The editor will be responsible for overseeing and developing a list that includes several successful undergraduate textbooks. This position will report to the Director of the College Department and the Editorial Director of the College Department.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Understanding the undergraduate course markets in sociology and cultural anthropology and the diverse needs of college instructors and students throughout the country.
- Finding, signing, and communicating with authors and other content contributors for a variety of editorial projects.
- Planning, developing, and implementing revision plans for several successful titles.
- Soliciting feedback from the market and incorporating this feedback into current and future editorial projects.
- Collaborating closely with colleagues in the digital media, project editorial, design, and production groups to ensure quality and timeliness of materials.
- With the help of an editorial assistant, closely monitoring projects at all stages of editorial development and production.
- Professionally interacting with authors, college faculty, and vendors, and effectively communicating ideas to colleagues including the college department editorial board and the advertising and marketing departments.
- Clearly and compellingly presenting sociology and cultural anthropology course materials to the Norton sales team and to faculty on campus, at focus groups, and at academic conferences. Providing support for the sales effort.