W.W. Norton & Company is seeking a Tech Lead, Web Engineering. The person in this role will be responsible for the design, development and support of digital product, content management system/editorial publishing platform and e-commerce solutions for W.W. Norton. This is a hands-on technical position that requires excellent technical design and development skills.
The candidate should have a solid background in modern enterprise-class web application development using NodeJS. They will run the backend, which is focused on the core functional and non-function aspects of the platform connecting and supporting services. This means that they know and love microservice architecture and look forward to writing shared libraries that your peers will consume.
The candidate also needs to demonstrate the ability to master new/emerging technologies and take initiative to offer technical direction and creative solutions. Proficiency with object-oriented programming, including software design and design patterns is also expected.
In addition to being accountable for technology deliverables, the position will also play a prominent role in guiding/mentoring other team members as well as architectural design and agile project planning.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Lead team to create great code and documentation for core technologies.
- Collaborate with all other Tech Leads to define architecture & strategy.
- Create and implement standards and practices for developing shared code and services.
- Collaborate with senior developers/engineers & DevOps to implement workflows, automated testing, and anything else it takes to get the quality code to production.
- Build NodeJS REST/microservices for our core e-commerce, entitlement, content management/publishing engines.
- Write code that is performant, secure, maintainable, clear, and concise.
- Provide feature breakdowns, task breakdowns, design and scope development work and estimate engineering effort; attend daily scrums, ensure functional and non-functional deliverables are on schedule, perform code review, plan implementation, and help rollout system changes to production.
- Interact within an agile team including offshore and third-party development groups and contractors.
- Ensure software meets all requirements of quality, security, modifiability, extensibility etc.
- Manage technical risk and debt for the team.
- Support rollouts, analyze technical issues and be available for on-call duties to lead resolution.
- Create and maintain technical documentation to assist with ongoing support and maintenance of applications.
- Recognize process and code inefficiencies, and proactively recommend resolutions.