W.W. Norton & Company, Inc. is seeking an Editorial Assistant to join its Trade Editorial department. This position will support two trade editors. This is a full-time, entry level position based out of Norton’s headquarters in NYC.
Essential Job Responsibilities Include:
- Management of manuscripts in all stages of production; preparing manuscripts for copyediting and production.
- Reading and reacting quickly to submissions in both fiction and non-fiction categories.
- Professionally interacting with authors, production, marketing, and sales staff to relay messages, follow-up on requests/information and in general, anticipating when to proactively act on messages.
- Administrative management: organizing and maintaining files; tracking manuscripts and reviews; copying, printing, and emailing.
- Tracking and processing payments.
- Managing text and photo permissions with authors and the contracts department.
- Generating promotional copy for catalogs, book jackets, and sales-related materials.
- Creating and editing Excel and Word documents to support projects and/or office responsibilities.
- Line editing manuscripts and contributing to overall publishing strategy of individual titles