To assist the Human Resources department with administrative duties for our New York office and field staff, while providing a practical learning experience to someone interested in Human Resources.
The Human Resources Intern will support the various activities of the Human Resources department, including, but not limited to, benefits administration, federal compliance, performance evaluations, and recruiting. S/he will have the opportunity to receive on-the-job training while also gaining insight into the publishing industry. This internship is ideal for anyone interested in pursuing a career in human resources.
The Human Resources Intern will be expected to perform the following tasks:
- Prepare on-boarding packets for field and office staff that include policy and benefits information.
- Posting and removing job descriptions from various job boards.
- Sorting and sending resumes to hiring managers.
- Prepare and maintain new hire and existing employee files to ensure legal compliance.
- Review all new hire paperwork and ensures that I-9 filing is completed and maintained appropriately.
- Check expense reports for adherence to company policy and calculation errors.
- Conduct research on HR laws and analyze the information collected.
- Assist with company intern program and on-boarding.
- Data entry and other administrative support tasks such as filing, copying, shredding and organizing.
- Assist with planning various company events, such as the holiday party and retirement parties (periodically).
- Perform verifications of employment and write letters of employment for employees (periodically).
- Assist HR department with ad hoc projects (daily).