W.W. Norton & Company, Inc. is seeking an Editorial Assistant to join Norton Young Readers. Norton Young Readers is the newly created children’s and young adult imprint of W.W. Norton, publishing a full range of pictures books, narrative fiction and nonfiction, and graphic novels, for all ages from elementary school to teen. This role will support the Publishing Director of Norton Young Readers. This is a full-time, entry level position based out of Norton’s headquarters in NYC.
Essential Job Responsibilities Include:
- Management of manuscripts and other book materials in all stages of production; preparing manuscripts for copyediting and production.
- Writing book jacket copy, captions, and similar editorial material, catalog copy, and other sales and promotional copy.
- Reading, evaluating, and reacting quickly to submissions.
- Organizing and maintaining files; tracking submissions, editorial materials, reviews, etc.; copying, printing, mailing, and emailing; tracking and processing payments.
- Professionally interacting with authors, agents, and other external contacts; and production, marketing, sales and other internal Norton departments to relay messages, follow-up on requests/information; and anticipating when to proactively act on messages.
- Maintaining and posting to Norton Young Readers online and social media accounts.
- Creating and editing Excel and Word documents to support projects and/or office responsibilities.
- Line editing manuscripts and contributing to overall publishing strategy of individual titles.