W.W. Norton & Company is seeking a Senior Designer to join its Trade Art Department. This position will be responsible for the coordination and oversight of the brand-new Norton Young Readers list as well as the Norton Professional Books list. In this role they will attend meetings, consult with editorial and art directors on cover direction, and collaborate with the entire art department. This role will also have a responsibility to work with the authors and artists on the Young Readers list who produce illustrated books. We are looking for a talented designer who is autonomous, has a diversity to their work which can understand the young reader and professional audiences, has a positive attitude with fresh ideas, a passion for the publishing industry, and is looking to push their work forward. This role reports directly to the Trade Design Director who will oversee all aspects of the job.
Essential Responsibilities Include:
Norton Young Readers
- Work directly with the NYR Publishing Director and authors to cohesively design each title on their list (approximately 15 per year).
- Assign and co-ordinate freelancers for picture books and other fixed layout titles from sketches through final files.
- Create original cover designs for non-picture book titles.
- Develop & maintain a distinct and consistent visual style for NYR books, promotional materials (posters, etc.) and advertising.
Norton Professional Books
- Manage an ongoing list of approximately 45 titles per year from origination to production.
- Manage budgets for NPB covers and jackets.
- Create original cover designs and oversee freelancers on cover designs.
- Manage pre-press preparation for each title.
- Attend production and design meetings.
- Other tasks as assigned by the Design Director.