While known for being the nation’s largest independent, employee-owned book publishing firm, W. W. Norton also has a growing list of digital applications that serve students, instructors, and general readers. At Norton, we believe that software engineering is a creative and collaborative endeavor. Our goal is to build happy, productive teams and establish processes to deliver quality products that delight W. W. Norton's customers.
The Front End Web Engineer will join a co-located team of New York-based UX designers, engineers, project managers, and business analysts to create exceptional products. You will work within a team that values clear communication, mutual respect and sharing of information. You will be responsible for building W. W. Norton’s content management and editorial publishing systems as well as e-commerce solutions.
In this role, you will be accountable for technology deliverables that adhere to high standards of quality, usability and security. You will also contribute high-quality, readable and maintainable code that conforms to Norton's standards for security, accessibility and code style.
Candidates should have a background in modern enterprise-class web application development using NodeJS, React/Redux and CSS. Proficiency with object-oriented programming, including software design and design patterns is also expected. You will also need an ability to master new/emerging technologies and take initiative to research new tools, software libraries and development methods.
Reasons that W.W. Norton may be the right fit for you:
- We are a company that inspires and educates people;
- We are focused on teamwork and collaboration;
- We encourage learning and sharing knowledge in the office;
- We are an on-site workplace, so you will see your colleagues and talk to them every day;
- We use agile methodologies like scrum and test-driven development;
- We support your growth as a self-motivated, organized and proactive team member;
- Our engineering managers come from a technology background;
- We welcome diversity;
- You will have opportunities to meet and discuss your ideas with direct and senior managers through 1-on-1s and town-hall meetings;
- We are surrounded by books; many of our colleagues are avid readers and love to discuss what they’re reading;
- W. W. Norton is owned entirely by employees, who each have a stake in the success of the firm;
- Our offices overlook the New York Public Library and Bryant Park in Midtown Manhattan.