W. W. Norton & Company is seeking a College Permissions Specialist to handle clearing the necessary permission for copyrighted textual, illustrative, and audiovisual materials as part of the College Permissions department. Candidates must have strong communication and research skills, be very organized and detail oriented, and proficient at multitasking. The ability to prioritize strategically, consistently meet deadlines, and work independently while collaborating with team members and other departments is also essential. The College Permissions Specialist is a mid-level position, reporting to the College Permissions Manager.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Requesting and obtaining permission for copyrighted material to appear in Norton’s college and high school textbooks and various media ancillary products, and independently reviewing manuscripts for permissive content.
- Negotiating fees and terms of permissions agreements with copyright holders of requested materials.
- Proactively evaluating budgets and working with editorial teams to preemptively flag high permissions fees.
- Maintaining the College Permissions department’s tracking database with updated information on project status and contact information for copyright holders.
- Collaborating with College Permissions Manager and Director of College Permissions on department-wide projects and initiatives.