W.W. Norton & Company, Inc., headquartered in New York City, is
seeking a Regional Sales Manager for the Northeast region of the US.
This territory will manage territories from Boston to Philadelphia.
Specific location is flexible throughout this region. Managers for the
college textbook division at W.W. Norton are responsible for
recruiting, hiring, training, developing, supervising, and motivating
sales representatives in their respective regions. Ultimately, the
goal is to grow revenue for the region. Regional managers serve as
role models for the sales representatives in their region and
therefore must meet all deadlines and successfully fulfill their
managerial responsibilities. Specifically, managers must be able to:
- Promote the company’s advantages and values to qualified job candidates.
- Identify talent.
- Provide firm and positive guidance.
- Work with a wide variety of personalities.
- Determine what motivates each individual in the region.
- Provide verbal and written strategic advice in response to
priority situations, and help determine what practices will help a
territory grow in revenue.
- Monitor sampling, expense reporting, reporting quotas and
- Travel to work with sales representatives in the field.
- Deploy the appropriate resources (expenses, help from specialists,
etc) in strategic situations.
- Think creatively about the needs of the region as a whole.
Regional Managers also work closely with the editorial and marketing
department and are asked to partner with a marketer to collaborate and
provide feedback on marketing campaigns, including marketing
literature. This includes:
- Preparing mid-year reports for books in specific disciplines.
- Providing feedback to sales conference 'dry runs'.
- Reviewing discipline-specific sections of the sales
representative’s daily planner.
- Providing feedback to marketers’ top priorities in the region.
Regional Managers at Norton meet collectively 2 - 3 times a year to
discuss management, marketing, and editorial issues. There are also
collaborative projects and ongoing concerns that require a conference
call, typically twice a month. Regional Managers are expected to bring
forth new ideas and suggest plans for improvement of the overall sales
operation. Please note that due to COVID-19, all meetings will take
place virtually until further notice.
Please note that this job description is not designed to cover all
activities required of the employee.