W. W. Norton & Company is seeking an Associate Editor for its
college history digital media team. The Associate Media Editor will be
responsible for the effectiveness, quality, and timeliness of
teaching, learning, and assessment resources that support textbooks in
this area. This position will report to the Media Editor for History
and the Editorial Director for Digital Media.
Essential Job Responsibilities Include:
- Understanding the relevant textbook markets in college publishing
and the diverse needs of adopters and students throughout the country.
- Planning, developing, and implementing pedagogically-useful and
innovative content to be used in digital resources for teaching,
learning, and assessment.
- Creating budgets and development timelines to correspond with
editorial, sales, and production schedules and the needs of the market.
- Collaborating closely with colleagues in media and print
editorial, production, and permissions to ensure quality and
timeliness of materials.
- Recruiting, signing, training, and communicating with subject
matter experts for a wide variety of editorial projects.
- Soliciting feedback from the market, such as peer reviews, and
incorporating this feedback into current and future editorial projects.
- With the help of an editorial assistant, managing projects in all
stages of editorial development and production.
- Professionally interacting with authors, college faculty, and
- Effectively communicating ideas to colleagues including sales
representatives, the college department editorial board, and the
advertising and marketing departments.
- Clearly documenting and communicating updates with all team
members throughout the duration of a project.
- Communicating the specifications for, and functionality of,
digital resources to fellow editors, designers, production managers,
programmers, and software developers.
- Managing vendor selection, scheduling, and budgeting for digital
work such as content coding projects.
- Maintaining and organizing digital files on appropriate servers.
- Creating product records and metadata and ensuring accuracy of
product information in W. W. Norton’s various proprietary systems.
Please note - this job description is not designed to cover all
activities required of the employee.