W. W. Norton is seeking an editor for college books in the
geosciences and biological anthropology. The editor will be
responsible for overseeing and developing a list that includes several
successful undergraduate texts in physical geology, earth science,
physical geography, introductory biological anthropology, and other
subfields. This position will report to the Editorial Director of the
Essential Job Responsibilities Include:
- Understanding the undergraduate geology, geography, and biological
anthropology course markets in college publishing and the diverse,
evolving needs of instructors and students.
- Finding, signing, and communicating with authors and other content
contributors for a variety of editorial projects.
- Planning, developing, and implementing revision plans for several
- Soliciting feedback from the market and incorporating this
feedback into current and future editorial projects.
- Collaborating closely with colleagues in the digital media,
project editorial, design, and production groups to ensure quality
and timeliness of materials.
- With the help of an editorial assistant, closely monitoring
projects at all stages of editorial development and production.
- Professionally interacting with authors, college faculty, and
vendors, and effectively communicating ideas to colleagues including
the college department editorial board and the advertising and
- Clearly and compellingly presenting geology, geography, and
biological anthropology course materials to the Norton sales team
and to faculty on campus, at focus groups, and at academic
conferences. Providing support for the sales effort.
Please note that this job description is not designed to cover all
activities required of the employee.