W. W. Norton is seeking a Media Editor for Chemistry to join its
college digital media department. The media editorial team takes pride
in creating high-quality and pedagogically effective digital teaching
and learning tools for college students and instructors. We believe
that our collaborative work environment is key to maintaining that
high standard. Media Editors work closely with fellow editors,
marketers, and specialists on their discipline teams as well as Norton
UX designers, engineers, project managers, business analysts, media
project editors, and production managers to create exceptional
products. Working in the Media Editorial department also offers
regular opportunities to learn, grow professionally, and foster
innovation by sharing ideas with colleagues working in other
disciplines. This position reports to the Editorial Director for
Essential Job Responsibilities Include:
- Understanding the undergraduate chemistry course market in college
publishing and the diverse needs of instructors and students.
- Planning, developing, and implementing pedagogically useful and
innovative content to be used in digital products for teaching,
learning, and assessment.
- Creating budgets and development timelines to correspond with
editorial, sales, and production schedules and the needs of the market.
- Collaborating closely with editorial, digital design, production,
and IT colleagues to ensure quality and timeliness of materials.
- Working closely with the Chemistry Content Development Specialist
and reviewers to ensure content accuracy, clarity, coverage, and
alignment with course needs.
- Finding, signing, and communicating with authors and subject
matter experts for a wide variety of editorial projects.
- With the help of an editorial assistant and associate editor,
closely monitoring projects at all stages of editorial development
- Professionally interacting with authors, college faculty, and
vendors, and effectively communicating ideas to colleagues including
the college department editorial board and the advertising and
- Clearly and compellingly presenting digital products to the Norton
sales team and to faculty on campus, at focus groups, and at
- Communicating the specifications for, and functionality of,
digital media to fellow editors, designers, production managers,
programmers, and software developers.
Please note that this job description is not designed to cover all
activities required of the employee.