W. W. Norton & Company is seeking a hardworking, intelligent, and
very detail-oriented individual to join our team to help manage and
edit our digital products for our college textbook department. Known
for being the nation’s largest independent, employee-owned publishing
firm, we have a large list of college books and digital products that
serve students and instructors. Our primary goal is to promote
teaching and learning in its many forms. Working closely with the
editorial and production teams, the person in this role will be
responsible for handling editorial production for digital media
projects across all disciplines. The Associate Digital Media Project
Editor will report directly to the Managing Editor, College Digital Media.
Essential Job Responsibilities Include:
- Manage the editing of our digital media products (including
ebooks, InQuizitive, Smartwork, Testmaker, tutorials, interactives,
quizzes, Interactive Instructor’s Guides, Lecture PowerPoints, etc.)
through all aspects of production.
- Maintain editorial standards. Norton’s hallmark is quality, and we
need someone dedicated to keeping our high standards.
- Oversee and evaluate copy editors, proofreaders, and other
relevant freelancers, giving critical feedback when necessary.
- Help develop and maintain style sheets.
- Edit content as necessary: you should have some experience line
editing, writing copy, copyediting, and proofreading.
- Catch errors in all of our products.
- Help devise and maintain schedules.
- Help develop design and project specs.
- Collaborate closely with editorial colleagues to ensure quality
and timeliness of materials.
- Identify when projects are falling behind, communicate to all
stakeholders what is at issue, and communicate to the manager when
help is necessary.
- Diagnose potential problems with workflows and help problem solve
efficient, effective solutions.
- Document management: help organize and maintain files, following
strict naming conventions to maintain version control.
- Stay current on our existing platforms, reading and understanding
documentation, making sure standards are followed.
- Communicate effectively with all team members, in person or
through written communication.
- Understand how to set priorities.
- Must manage complex workloads.
Please note - this job description is not designed to cover all
activities required of the employee.