W.W. Norton is seeking an Art Director with a love for books to join
its College Production department. The Art Director will be
responsible for the art direction and design of a variety of projects
including accessible e-book design, complex print designs,
infographics and covers. You must be highly organized and have a
critical eye for design, excellent communication skills, and thrive in
an autonomous workflow. A mastery of complex text layout is essential.
This position reports directly to the Design Director of the College
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Create interior designs for the College e-books and print books
for initial concept to final pass.
- Work collaboratively with editorial team to create visual
direction and design identity for each title.
- Review e-book and print page passes for design adherence using CSS
and print language.
- Create cover designs for the College list.
- Adapt book designs for Custom, High School, and Instructors’ editions.
- Assign projects and supervise freelance designers for selected titles.
- Work with production managers to keep designs on schedule.
- Attend production, editorial, and other meetings, as needed,
Please note that this job description is not designed to cover all
activities required of the employee.