W. W. Norton & Company, Inc. is seeking an Editorial Assistant to
join its College Editorial Department to assist in the development of
print and digital course materials in chemistry and astronomy. The
position does not require subject matter expertise, but it does
require willingness to develop a deeper understanding of course
markets in those subject areas. This is a full-time, entry level
position based out of Norton’s headquarters in NYC and reports
directly to the VP Editor of Chemistry & Astronomy.
Essential Job Responsibilities Include:
- Management of manuscripts in all stages of production; preparing
manuscripts for copyediting and production.
- Managing peer review programs: researching and recruiting
instructors to serve as editorial reviewers for texts; sending
review materials to reviewers.; communicating professionally with
reviewers via email.
- Professionally interacting with authors, production, marketing,
and sales staff.
- Administrative management: organizing and maintaining files;
tracking manuscripts and reviews; copying, printing, and emailing.
- Tracking and processing payments.
- Managing text and photo permissions with authors and the contracts department.
- Coordinating meetings with authors and editorial teams: scheduling
meetings, sending reminders about meetings; circulating detailed
summaries of decisions made to attendees after the meetings
- Line editing manuscripts and author blog posts.
- Contributing to overall publishing strategy for individual titles.
- Conducting market research.
Please note - this job description is not designed to cover all
activities required of the employee.