W. W. Norton is seeking a Media Editor for Geology and Biological
Anthropology to join its college digital media department. The media
editorial team takes pride in creating high-quality and
pedagogically-effective digital resources for college students and
instructors. We believe that our collaborative work environment is key
to maintaining that high standard. Media Editors work closely with the
editors, marketers, and specialists on their discipline teams as well
as Norton UX designers, engineers, project managers, business
analysts, media project editors, and production managers to create
exceptional products. Working in the Media Editorial department also
offers regular opportunities to learn, grow professionally, and foster
innovation by sharing ideas with colleagues working in other
disciplines. This position reports to the Editorial Director for
Essential Job Responsibilities Include:
- Understanding the undergraduate geology and biological
anthropology course markets in college publishing and the diverse
needs of instructors and students.
- Planning, developing, and implementing pedagogically-useful and
innovative content to be used in digital products for teaching,
learning, and assessment.
- Creating budgets and development timelines to correspond with
editorial, sales, and production schedules and the needs of the market.
- Collaborating closely with editorial, digital design, production,
and IT colleagues to ensure quality and timeliness of materials.
- Finding, signing, and communicating with authors and subject
matter experts for a wide variety of editorial projects.
- With the help of an editorial assistant and associate editor,
closely monitoring projects at all stages of editorial development
- Professionally interacting with authors, college faculty, and
vendors, and effectively communicating ideas to colleagues including
the college department editorial board and the advertising and
- Clearly and compellingly presenting digital products to the Norton
sales team and to faculty on campus, at focus groups, and at
- Communicating the specifications for, and functionality of,
digital media to fellow editors, designers, production managers,
programmers, and software developers.
Please note - this job description is not designed to cover all
activities required of the employee.