W. W. Norton is seeking an Editorial Assistant to join its Trade
Editorial Department. This is a full-time, entry-level position based
out of Norton’s headquarters in New York City.
Essential Job Responsibilities Include:
- Supporting two editors acquiring a diverse list of nonfiction in
subjects ranging from science, math, and economics to social issues,
narrative journalism, food, and cookbooks.
- Reading and reacting quickly to nonfiction submissions of various genres.
- Preparing manuscripts for copyediting and production; managing
manuscripts in all stages of production; working with editors and
authors to meet deadlines.
- Drafting promotional copy for catalogs, book jackets, and
- Professionally interacting with authors, production, marketing,
and sales staff to relay messages; following up on
requests/information; and in general anticipating when to act
proactively on messages.
- Administrative management: organizing and maintaining files;
tracking manuscripts and reviews; copying, printing, and emailing;
tracking and processing payments.
- Managing text and photo permissions with authors and the contracts department.
- Creating and editing Excel and Word documents to support projects
and/or manage office responsibilities.
- On proven ability, some editing of manuscripts and contributing to
overall publishing strategy of individual titles.
Please note: this job description is not designed to cover all
activities required of the employee.