W. W. Norton & Company is seeking a hardworking, intelligent,
enthusiastic, and very detail-oriented individual to join our team to
help manage and edit our digital products for our college textbook
department. Known for being the nation’s largest independent,
employee-owned publishing firm, we have a large list of college books
and digital products that serve students and instructors. Our primary
goal is to promote teaching and learning in its many forms. Working
closely with the editorial and production teams, you will be
responsible for handling editorial production for digital media
projects and other content across all disciplines. The Assistant
Digital Media Project Editor will report directly to the Managing
Editor, College Digital Media.
Essential Job Responsibilities Include:
- Project manage the editing of our digital media products
(including ebooks, InQuizitive, Smartwork, Testmaker, tutorials,
interactives, quizzes, Norton Teaching Tools, Lecture PowerPoints,
etc.) through all aspects of production.
- Maintain editorial standards. Norton’s hallmark is quality, and we
need someone dedicated to keeping our high standards.
- Oversee and evaluate copy editors, proofreaders, and other
relevant freelancers, giving critical feedback when necessary.
- Help maintain style sheets.
- Edit content as necessary: familiarity and some experience with
line editing, writing copy, copyediting, and proofreading are a plus.
- Catch errors in all of our products.
- Help maintain schedules.
- Collaborate closely with editorial colleagues to ensure quality
and timeliness of materials.
- Identify when projects are falling behind, communicate to all
stakeholders what is at issue, and communicate to the manager when
help is necessary.
- Document management: help organize and maintain files, following
strict naming conventions to maintain version control.
- Stay current on our existing platforms, reading and understanding
documentation, making sure standards are followed.
- Communicate effectively with all team members, in person or
through written communication.
- Understand how to set priorities.
- Must manage complex workloads.
Please note - this job description is not designed to cover all
activities required of the employee.