W.W. Norton & Company, Inc. is seeking an Editorial Assistant to
join its College Media Editorial Department. This is a full-time,
entry level position based out of Norton’s headquarters in NYC.
Essential Job Responsibilities Include:
- Management of manuscripts through all stages of production.
- Professionally interacting with colleagues in media and print
editorial, production, marketing, and permissions to relay messages,
follow-up on requests/information and in general, anticipating when
to proactively act on messages.
- Professionally interacting with authors, college faculty, and
- Administrative management: organizing and maintaining files with
many versions; tracking manuscripts and reviews; drafting contracts;
drafting memos; etc.
- Tracking and processing payments.
- Managing text and photo permissions with authors and the contracts department.
- Creating and editing Excel and Word documents to support projects
and/or office responsibilities.
- Line editing manuscripts and contributing to overall publishing
strategy of individual titles.
- Managing projects in all stages of editorial development.
- Clearly documenting and communicating updates with all team
members throughout the duration of a project.
- Maintaining and organizing digital files on appropriate servers.
- Creating product records and metadata and ensuring accuracy of
product information in W. W. Norton’s various proprietary systems.
- Helping to plan, develop, and implement pedagogically useful and
innovative content to be used in digital resources for teaching,
learning, and assessment.
- Creating budgets and development timelines to correspond with
editorial, sales, and production schedules and the needs of the market.
- Balancing many unique projects occurring simultaneously.
Please note - this job description is not designed to cover all
activities required of the employee.