Who we are
Founded in 1923, W. W. Norton is the oldest and largest independent
and employee-owned publishing house, publishing works of Nobel
laureates, master teachers, and Pulitzer Prize winners. For a century,
Norton has been dedicated to achieving a common goal: to bring to
readers and students enduring fiction, nonfiction, and poetry, as well
as high-quality textbooks and digital learning tools.
About the internship
W. W. Norton is looking for interns to participate in our twelve-week
internship program. Our internship program provides participants with
an engaging, supportive, and hands-on learning experience in
publishing that includes brown bag lunch sessions and networking
within the intern class. Your work if you become a Norton intern with
the trade editorial team may include the following:
- Reading and responding to nonfiction and fiction proposals,
including memoirs, literary fiction, history, general science books,
poetry, and cookbooks.
- Drafting catalog copy and creating and editing pitch letters.
- Reading manuscripts and proofs at various stages of publication.
- Compiling materials and preparing manuscripts for reviews and production.
- Maintaining lists and databases of key information such as digital
content, media contacts, and book review programs.
- Learning the basics of copyediting and proofreading.