W. W. Norton & Company is seeking an Engineering Manager to help
build resilient teams and platforms within our fully remote Digital
Products team. Independent since 1923, employee-owned, and proud to
publish "books that live," Norton is dedicated to building
inclusive learning experiences for higher education and high school.
You will play a critical role in modernizing our architecture by
working across two teams: the team that manages our legacy monolith,
and our internal developer platform team, whose mission is to empower
product teams to build, ship, and monitor with substantial autonomy,
security, and reliability. As the engineering manager across the
teams, you will identify gaps across our horizontals, help coordinate
work across teams, grow and support engineers, drive quality
standards, align the teams to organizational goals, and manage the
delivery and relationships with our partner contractors. This position
reports to the Director of Engineering.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Lead, coach, support, and grow a diverse team of engineers
(software, reliability/DevOps, security, database, platform).
- Design and continuously improve systems of work to set up
engineers for success.
- Partner with product managers to define goals, metrics, and a
shared sense of ownership.
- Build trust with stakeholders, managers, and engineers across the
product and engineering organizations.
- Manage partnerships with contractor organizations to ensure their
engineering quality and practices meet expectations.
- Drive work to address both technical and process debt on your teams.
- Ensure a great developer experience within Norton’s engineering platform.
- Triage internal tickets for the platform team, assigning work to
appropriate engineers and seeing work through to maintain our
commitment to stakeholder product teams.