W.W. Norton & Company is seeking a Senior Designer in their Trade Art Department. The Senior Designer will be focused on designing covers and interiors for Countryman Press, an imprint of W. W. Norton, as well as working with Norton’s team of art directors on original trade hardcover jackets for W. W. Norton. In this role, they will work closely with Countryman’s team of editors and production managers to craft one-of-a-kind and series books in the categories of cooking, lifestyle, nature, travel, and gift. This position will focus on cover design but will also handle interior design for the Countryman imprint. Both the Countryman and Norton lists require a wide range of skills and aesthetics, so we are looking for a talented designer who is a self-starter and a versatile and upbeat collaborator, with a passion for design and art. This role reports directly to the Trade Design Director who will oversee all aspects of the job within Norton’s talented and growing art department.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Work directly with the editorial and production teams for Countryman Press to craft beautiful covers, jackets, and interiors for a wide variety of categories.
- Work with the team of Norton Art Directors on the trade list designing original hardcover jackets.
- Coordinate and manage cover design meetings for the Countryman imprint.
- Attend production and other meetings, as needed, for the Countryman imprint.
- Manage Pre-press preparation for their own titles.