W. W. Norton & Company is seeking an Associate Editor for its
college Economics and Astronomy digital media teams. The Associate
Media Editor will be responsible for the quality and timeliness of
digital teaching, learning, and assessment resources that support
undergraduate Economics and Astronomy textbooks. This position will
report to the Media Editor for Economics and Astronomy.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Understanding the textbook market in college publishing and the
diverse needs of professors and students throughout the country.
- Planning, developing, and implementing pedagogically useful and
innovative content to be used in digital teaching, learning, and
- Creating budgets and development timelines to correspond with
editorial, sales, and production schedules and the needs of the market.
- Recruiting, signing, training, and communicating with authors and
subject matter experts for a wide variety of editorial projects.
- Managing vendor selection, scheduling, and budgeting for digital
production work such as content coding projects.
- Communicating the specifications for, and functionality of,
digital resources to fellow editors, designers, production managers,
programmers, and software developers.
- Managing projects in all stages of editorial development and production.
- Collaborating closely with colleagues in media and print
editorial, production, and permissions to ensure quality and
timeliness of materials.
- Professionally interacting with authors, college faculty, and
- Soliciting feedback from the market, such as peer reviews and
surveys, and incorporating this feedback into current and future
- Effectively communicating ideas to colleagues including sales
staff, the college department editorial board, and the advertising
and marketing departments.
- Clearly documenting and communicating updates with all team
members throughout the duration of a project.
- Maintaining and organizing digital files on appropriate servers.
- Creating product records and metadata and ensuring accuracy of
product information in W. W. Norton’s various proprietary systems.
Please note - this job description is not designed to cover all
activities required of the employee.